Best New Cars Under $20,000
Being on a budget doesn’t have to mean sacrificing when it comes to shopping for a new car. The under-20K segment has grown significantly and is filled with excellent vehicles. Here are a selection of the top picks available here at Germain Cars.
Quintessentially Italian, the FIAT 500 remains an iconic fixture in the subcompact segment. While its stylish exterior captures your attention, the real secret lies in its surprisingly spacious interior. A one-touch power sunroof available on the 500 is able to tilt from the rear for ventilation or slide rearward to provide a full opening. Standard on every trim, the Uconnect® 3 system features a 5-inch full-color touchscreen, a media hub with USB port and auxiliary input jack, Voice Command, Bluetooth® Streaming Audio, and Hands-Free Calling. Featuring twin intercoolers, the FIAT 500 is powered by a 1.4L MultiAir® Turbo engine provides an impressive 160 horsepower and 170 pound-feet of torque. Other performance options include a Sport-Tuned Suspension and Performance Brakes for superior stopping power.
- 1.4L MultiAir® Turbo Engine Delivers up to 135 Horsepower and 150 LB-FT of Torque
- Uconnect® 3 with a 5-Inch Full-Color Touchscreen, Bluetooth® Streaming Audio, Hands-Free Calling, and more
- ParkView® Rear Back Up Camera
- 16-Inch Polished Aluminum Wheels with Mineral Gray Pockets
- Sport-Tuned Suspension and Performance Brakes
- Available Heated Leather-Trimmed Front Bucket Seats
- Starting at $16,245 MSRP
Consumers Digest Best Buy Award Ford Fiesta
Fiesta is the smallest vehicle made by Ford, but it continues to deliver more than a compact size. Fun, nimble handling makes the Fiesta a blast to drive. Three engine choices provide a range of performance capabilities, with the most power coming from the 1.6 liter 197 horsepower EcoBoost engine. Available as either a sedan or hatchback, cargo space is plentiful with the hatchback offering 25.4 cubic feet of space with the 60/40 rear split seat folded down. Access all of your media with the standard SYNC® Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System with 4.2″ color LCD screen. Fiesta has 7 standard airbags, consisting of front, seat side, driver’s knee, and side curtain airbags designed to keep occupants safe and sound. The Ford Fiesta was named as one of Consumer Digest Best Buy award winners from among 40 vehicles, across 13 classes of automobiles.
- Standard 1.6L Ti-VCT I-4 120 horsepower engine
- Standard SYNC® Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System with 4.2″ color LCD screen
- Available automatic headlamps with wiper activation
- 7 standard airbags
- Optional Voice-activated Navigation System with pinch-to-zoom capability
- Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler system standard
- Starting at $14,260 MSRP
IIHS Top Safety Pick Awards Toyota Corolla
The Toyota Corolla has been a hit with drivers for decades. Corolla offers impressive standard features such as a rearview camera with path projection, LED headlights, a 6.1-inch touch-screen display audio system with Entune™ Audio, and a 1.8L 4 cylinder engine with 132 horsepower. Every Corolla model comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense-P. This packages combines advanced safety technologies like Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert, Automatic High Beams, and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. Toyota Corolla LE Eco models boasts up to 40 mpg highway fuel economy*. It’s easy to see why Corolla has been regarded as a top choice year after year. Highlighting the Corolla’s commitment to safety, the IIHS awarded the 2018 Toyota Corolla with their coveted Top Safety Pick Award.
- Standard 1.8L 4 cylinder engine with 132 horsepower
- Entune™ Multimedia Bundle with 6.1-inch touch-screen display
- Integrated backup camera with projected path
- Smart Key System with Push Button Start and remote keyless entry available
- 8 standard airbags
- Optional power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade
- Starting at $18,700 MSRP
*2018 EPA-estimated 30 city/40 highway/34 combined mpg for Corolla LE Eco. Actual mileage will vary.
Volkswagen Jetta WARDS 10 Best User Experiences
As one of the world’s best selling sedans, the Volkswagen Jetta features sleek, athletic exterior styling that is sure to capture the attention of onlookers. Its driver-focused interior includes an infotainment screen located high in the dashboard, making all vehicle information easily accessible to the driver. A standard 1.4-liter Turbocharged TSI® engine provides 147 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque for responsive performance. Eye-catching 17-inch alloy wheels complement the premium look of the Jetta while giving you responsive handling feedback. Optional two-tone V-Tex leatherette seats not only provide greater support and stylish accents, they’re both heated and cooled for personalized comfort in any temperature. Technology remains a strong suit of the Jetta as well. In fact, the Jetta has been named to Wards 10 Best User Experiences (UX) List.
- 1.4-liter Turbocharged Direct-Injection TSI® engine with 147 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque
- Available Volkswagen Digital Cockpit 10-inch display with 6 customizable information profiles
- Optional customizable 10-color ambient interior lighting
- Available driver assistance technology – Front Assist, Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist, and Light Assist
- Available Volkswagen Car-Net® system with App-Connect featuring Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ smartphone integration
- Optional customizable 10-color ambient interior lighting
- Starting at $18,475 MSRP
US News & World Report Best Subcompact Car for the Money – Honda Fit
Far more than basic transportation, Honda Fit delivers fun-to-drive character, impressive cargo capacity, and the latest tech features at a price that won’t break the bank. All three trim levels of the Honda Fit include a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder 130 horsepower engine. One handy feature on the Fit is the Magic Seat® system which features four seating configurations that allow you to haul long or tall cargo with ease. Parking and maneuvering in tight spaces is never difficult thanks to the standard rearview camera. Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® and streaming audio is included on every Honda Fit, meaning your favorite music is never far from your fingertips. Honda Fit has unmatched value when compared to the competition. US News & World Report has awarded the Honda Fit as the Best Subcompact Car for the Money.
- Standard 130 horsepower i-VTEC® 4 cylinder engine with direct-injection
- 60/40 split 2nd-row Magic Seat®
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® and streaming audio standard
- Optional Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with voice recognition
- Standard multi-angle rearview camera
- Optional heated leather-trimmed front seats
- Starting at $16,190 MSRP
MINI Cooper Hardtop 2 Door
MINI Cooper Hardtop 2 Door IIHS Top Safety Pick 2018
The MINI name has been synonymous with nimble handling and an engaging driving experience for over half a century. MINI Cooper Hardtop 2 Door continues this legendary heritage into 2019. Base trim Cooper Hardtop 2 Door models come standard with a 1.5 liter TwinPower Turbo engine with 134 horsepower. Far from basic, standard equipment on Cooper Hardtop 2 Door models include 6.5-inch Visual Boost Screen audio and information system, automatic climate control, and MINI Connected system with Bluetooth connectivity. Each MINI can be customized to fit the distinct personality of its owner, with over 10 million unique combinations. Helpful available driving and safety highlights include Adaptive Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, and Rear-View Camera.
- Three available turbocharged engine options
- Standard MINI Connected with a 6.5 inch display screen
- Available performance suspension with MacPherson front struts
- Optional LED Cornering Headlights
- Available Head-Up Display
- 8 Standard Dual-Stage Airbag
- Starting at $21,900 MSRP