Best New Cars Under $20,000
Being on a budget doesn’t have to mean sacrificing when it comes to shopping for a new car. The under-20K segment has grown significantly and is filled with excellent vehicles. Here are a selection of the top picks available here at Germain Cars.
2017 Consumers Digest Best Buy Award Ford Fiesta
Fiesta is the smallest vehicle made by Ford, but it continues to deliver more than a compact size. Fun, nimble handling makes the Fiesta a blast to drive. Three engine choices provide a range of performance capabilities, with the most power coming from the 1.6 liter 197 horsepower EcoBoost engine. Available as either a sedan or hatchback, cargo space is plentiful with the hatchback offering 25.4 cubic feet of space with the 60/40 rear split seat folded down. Access all of your media with the standard SYNC® Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System with 4.2″ color LCD screen. Fiesta has 7 standard airbags, consisting of front, seat side, driver’s knee, and side curtain airbags designed to keep occupants safe and sound. The 2017 Ford Fiesta was named as one of Consumer Digest Best Buy award winners from among 40 vehicles, across 13 classes of automobiles.
- Standard 1.6L Ti-VCT I-4 120 horsepower engine
- Standard SYNC® Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System with 4.2″ color LCD screen
- Available automatic headlamps with wiper activation
- 7 standard airbags
- Optional Voice-activated Navigation System with pinch-to-zoom capability
- Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler system standard
- Starting at $13,660 MSRP
2017 Kelley Blue Book 5-Year Cost to Own Awards Toyota Corolla
Celebrating its 50 year anniversary in 2017, Toyota Corolla has been a hit with drivers for decades. Corolla offers impressive standard features such as a rearview camera with path projection, LED headlights, a 6.1-inch touch-screen display audio system with Entune™ Audio, and a 1.8L 4 cylinder engine with 132 horsepower. For 2017, every Corolla model comes standard with Toyota Safety Sense-P. This packages combines advanced safety technologies like Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection, Lane Departure Alert, Automatic High Beams, and Dynamic Radar Cruise Control. Toyota Corolla LE Eco models boasts up to 40 mpg highway fuel economy*. It’s easy to see why Corolla has been regarded as a top choice year after year. In fact, Kelley Blue Book named the 2017 Toyota Corolla the Best Compact Car in the 2017 5-Year Cost to Own Awards. Corolla has the lowest cost to ownership for a five year period, earning top honors for the fourth consecutive year.
- Standard 1.8L 4 cylinder engine with 132 horsepower
- Entune™ Multimedia Bundle with 6.1-inch touch-screen display
- Integrated backup camera with projected path
- Smart Key System with Push Button Start and remote keyless entry available
- 8 standard airbags
- Optional power tilt/slide moonroof with sliding sunshade
- Starting at $18,500 MSRP
*2017 EPA-estimated 30 city/40 highway/34 combined mpg for Corolla LE Eco. Actual mileage will vary.
Volkswagen Jetta IIHS Top Safety Pick + 2017
The first thing drivers will notice on the Volkswagen Jetta is the sleek, athletic exterior styling that is sure to turn heads. There are three turbocharged engine options available on the Jetta. Choose between a lively 1.4 liter TSI with 140 horsepower, a 1.8 liter TSI with 170 horsepower, or the exciting 2.0 liter TSI with 210 horsepower for the ultimate thrill. Both manual and automatic transmission options are available on the Jetta. Standard equipment on the Volkswagen Jetta includes a rearview camera, Bluetooth phone connectivity, 16 inch wheels, and a 5-inch color touch-screen display. For the ultimate Jetta experience, the GLI trim is several unique features. 18″ alloy wheels, sport-tuned suspension, Fender Premium Audio System, Blind Spot Monitor, and touchscreen navigation system highlight the blend of performance and technology found in the Jetta GLI. Safety conscious drivers will love the Jetta. Volkswagen is proud to announce that the 2017 Jetta has been named an IIHS Top Safety Pick+.
- Three available engine options
- Standard Bluetooth® technology with audio streaming for compatible devices
- Optional Climatronic® dual-zone automatic climate control
- Available Fender® Premium Audio System with 8 speakers plus subwoofer
- Optional 18″ Mallory alloy wheels
- Standard Rearview Camera System
- Starting at $17,895 MSRP
US News & World Report Best Subcompact Car for the Money 2017 Honda Fit
Far more than basic transportation, Honda Fit delivers fun-to-drive character, impressive cargo capacity, and the latest tech features at a price that won’t break the bank. All three trim levels of the Honda Fit include a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder 130 horsepower engine. One handy feature on the Fit is the Magic Seat® system which features four seating configurations that allow you to haul long or tall cargo with ease. Parking and maneuvering in tight spaces is never difficult thanks to the standard rearview camera. Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® and streaming audio is included on every Honda Fit, meaning your favorite music is never far from your fingertips. Honda Fit has unmatched value when compared to the competition. US News & World Report has awarded the 2017 Honda Fit as the Best Subcompact Car for the Money.
- Standard 130 horsepower i-VTEC® 4 cylinder engine with direct-injection
- 60/40 split 2nd-row Magic Seat®
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® and streaming audio standard
- Optional Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with voice recognition
- Standard multi-angle rearview camera
- Optional heated leather-trimmed front seats
- Starting at $16,090 MSRP
MINI Cooper Hardtop 2 Door
MINI Cooper Hardtop 2 Door IIHS Top Safety Pick 2017
The MINI name has been synonymous with nimble handling and an engaging driving experience for over half a century. MINI Cooper Hardtop 2 Door continues this legendary heritage into 2017. Base trim Cooper Hardtop 2 Door models come standard with a 1.5 liter TwinPower Turbo engine with 134 horsepower. Far from basic, standard equipment on Cooper Hardtop 2 Door models include 6.5-inch Visual Boost Screen audio and information system, automatic climate control, and MINI Connected system with Bluetooth connectivity. Each MINI can be customized to fit the distinct personality of its owner, with over 10 million unique combinations. Helpful available driving and safety highlights include Adaptive Cruise Control, Head-Up Display, and Rear-View Camera.
- Three available turbocharged engine options
- Standard MINI Connected with a 6.5 inch display screen
- Available performance suspension with MacPherson front struts
- Optional LED Cornering Headlights
- Available Head-Up Display
- 8 Standard Dual-Stage Airbag
- Starting at $20,950 MSRP