The Best New Cars Under $20,000
Being on a budget doesn’t have to mean sacrificing when it comes to shopping for a new car. The under-20K segment has grown significantly and is filled with excellent vehicles. Here are a selection of the top picks available here at Germain Cars.
Perfectly suited for drivers living active, urban lifestyles – the city-sized Ford EcoSport has plenty of attitude and versatility to help you make the most of your next adventure. Standard on the EcoSport, a 123-horsepower 1.0L EcoBoost® engine delivers a combination of power and efficiency. Thanks to Auto Stop-Start Technology, you’ll be able to stretch your MPG even further. It’s easier than ever to make calls, access media, and more thanks to enhanced voice-recognition with available SYNC® 3. Reflect your mood inside the interior with optional ambient lighting which features a selection of 7 colorful hues (Ice Blue, Orange, Soft Blue, Red, Green, Blue and Purple). A rear Cargo Management System gives you a variety of configurations, meaning that you’ll never have to leave that extra suitcase behind.
- Your choice of a standard 1.0L EcoBoost® I-3 engine with 123 horsepower / 125 lb ft of torque or an available 2.0L Ti-VCT I-4 engine with 166 horsepower / 149 lb ft of torque
- Available Intelligent 4WD (2.0L Ti-VCT engine only)
- Standard SYNC® Voice Recognition Communications and Entertainment System with 4.2-inch color LCD screen
- Safety Canopy® System with side-curtain airbags and rollover sensor
- 60/40 flip-up and split-fold rear bench seat
- Optional Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ compatibility
- Starting at $19,995 MSRP
When it comes to the Chevrolet Trailblazer, beauty is more than skin-deep. Inside, you’ll find a comfortable, spacious cabin, as well as a selection of fuel-efficient powerplants under the hood. It’s the perfect vehicle for your active lifestyle, thanks to its cavernous cargo area. The front passenger seat and second-row seats fold flat, affording a maximum cargo length of 8.5 feet, as well as a generous overall cargo capacity of 54.4 cubic feet. Loading and unloading gear gets even easier with the optional hands-free liftgate. There’s more than empty space inside, though. There’s plenty of tech, too, including the standard Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system with a 7 inch color touchscreen, Bluetooth streaming, and Apple CarPlay®/Android Auto™ compatibility. Safety is important, too, and that’s why Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Alert, Front Pedestrian Braking, and Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning come standard.
- Your choice of a standard 1.2L turbocharged I-3 engine with 137 horsepower / 162 lb ft of torque or an available 1.3L turbocharged I-3 engine with 155 horsepower / 174 lb ft of torque
- Available all-wheel drive
- Chevrolet Infotainment 3 system with a 7 inch color touchscreen, Bluetooth streaming, and Apple CarPlay®/Android Auto™ compatibility
- Standard Automatic Emergency Braking, Forward Collision Alert, Front Pedestrian Braking, and Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
- Flat-folding front passenger and second-row seats
- Optional hands-free liftgate
- Starting at $19,000 MSRP
IIHS Top Safety Pick Award – Toyota Corolla
With over 46 million sold worldwide since 1966, it’s simple to see why the Toyota Corolla remains one of the globe’s most coveted sedans. Now entering its twelfth generation, the Corolla is tighter, leaner, and lower than ever before. For extra thrills on your daily drive, Corolla SE and XSE grades take exhilaration and sportiness to new heights. The ergonomic interior of the driver is cleverly engineered to place the driver at the center of attention. You’ll enjoy advanced tech features including standard Entune 3.0 Audio with Wi-Fi Connect, Amazon Alexa, and Apple CarPlay Compatibility for seamless access to your favorite media. Every Toyota Corolla also comes equipped with Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0) — a collection of innovative safety technologies to keep both you and your passengers protected from the unknown.
- Standard 1.8L 4-cylinder engine with 139 horsepower or available 2.0L 4-cylinder Dynamic Force Engine with 169 horsepower
- Standard Continuously Variable Transmission with intelligence and Shift Mode (CVTi-S) or optional 6-speed Intelligent Manual Transmission (iMT)
- Up to 31 City / 38 Highway MPG Fuel Economy
- Available Smart Key System on front doors and trunk with Push Button Start
- Siri® Eyes Free and Apple CarPlay® compatibility
- LED headlights, taillights, and Daytime Running Lights (DRL)
- Toyota Safety Sense™ 2.0 (TSS 2.0)
- Starting at $19,500 MSRP
*2018 EPA-estimated 30 city/40 highway/34 combined mpg for Corolla LE Eco. Actual mileage will vary.
Volkswagen Jetta WARDS 10 Best User Experiences
As one of the world’s best selling sedans, the Volkswagen Jetta features sleek, athletic exterior styling that is sure to capture the attention of onlookers. Its driver-focused interior includes an infotainment screen located high in the dashboard, making all vehicle information easily accessible to the driver. A standard 1.4-liter Turbocharged TSI® engine provides 147 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque for responsive performance. Eye-catching 17-inch alloy wheels complement the premium look of the Jetta while giving you responsive handling feedback. Optional two-tone V-Tex leatherette seats not only provide greater support and stylish accents, they’re both heated and cooled for personalized comfort in any temperature. Technology remains a strong suit of the Jetta as well. In fact, the Jetta has been named to Wards 10 Best User Experiences (UX) List.
- 1.4-liter Turbocharged Direct-Injection TSI® engine with 147 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque
- Available Volkswagen Digital Cockpit 10-inch display with 6 customizable information profiles
- Optional customizable 10-color ambient interior lighting
- Available driver assistance technology – Front Assist, Blind Spot Monitor with Rear Traffic Alert, Adaptive Cruise Control, Lane Assist, and Light Assist
- Available Volkswagen Car-Net® system with App-Connect featuring Apple CarPlay™ and Android Auto™ smartphone integration
- Optional customizable 10-color ambient interior lighting
- Starting at $18,895 MSRP
US News & World Report Best Subcompact Car for the Money – Honda Fit
Far more than basic transportation, Honda Fit delivers fun-to-drive character, impressive cargo capacity, and the latest tech features at a price that won’t break the bank. All three trim levels of the Honda Fit include a 1.5 liter 4 cylinder 130 horsepower engine. One handy feature on the Fit is the Magic Seat® system which features four seating configurations that allow you to haul long or tall cargo with ease. Parking and maneuvering in tight spaces is never difficult thanks to the standard rearview camera. Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® and streaming audio is included on every Honda Fit, meaning your favorite music is never far from your fingertips. Honda Fit has unmatched value when compared to the competition. US News & World Report has awarded the Honda Fit as the Best Subcompact Car for the Money.
- Standard 130 horsepower i-VTEC® 4 cylinder engine with direct-injection
- 60/40 split 2nd-row Magic Seat®
- Bluetooth® HandsFreeLink® and streaming audio standard
- Optional Honda Satellite-Linked Navigation System™ with voice recognition
- Standard multi-angle rearview camera
- Optional heated leather-trimmed front seats
- Starting at $16,190 MSRP